Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

My subject is war...

Today is Anzac Day, a day that is very important here in New Zealand and Australia. We remember the soldiers from both countries, the ANZACs who fought and died at Gallipoli, Turkey. From the dawn services to special school assemblies to newspaper and television coverage, we New Zealanders remember our soldiers from all wars. As an English teacher, I always try to teach some War Poetry around this time. It seems that there are too many wars to choose from, and even currently images from the war in Syria and Ukraine dominate our news. For me, there are many war poems I teach or read to my students so that it is sometimes difficult to pick one or two. For today, Anzac day, Flanders Field seems appropriate. Image sourced from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment